Monday, November 30, 2015

Lucy Maud Montgomery Tag

Today is Lucy Maud Montgomery's birthday!  She got her own Google Doodle, even :-)  And today Eva kicks off the LMM Week at her blog, Coffee, Classics, and Craziness.  She's provided a nice tag for anyone to do who wishes to, and I wish to, so I am!


How did you first discover LMM’s books?

A friend of my mom's told her about the Anne books when I was about 7.  My mom read them aloud to us, and then I got copies for birthdays and such and read them all myself.  In college, my lit prof told me I would like the Emily books, so I read those after college when I had time to read whatever I pleased again.  And I recently read The Blue Castle for the first time on the strong recommendation of many blogging friends, especially Heidi and Naomi.


What’s your favorite LMM book?

AnneofGreenGablesTheBlueCastleAnneofWindyPoplars.


What’s your least favorite LMM book?

Rainbow Valley, I think.  Or Rilla of Ingleside.  Both suffer from not enough Anne, too much of her children.  Or so I thought when I read them in my tweens and teens!  I have decided to re-read all of the Anne books in 2016 because it's been almost 20 years since I read several of the later ones.


Who is your favorite character in allllll of LMM’s works?

Anne Shirley.


What couple is your favorite?

Valency Stirling and Barney Snaith in The Blue Castle.  Yes, it's true -- I think I prefer them a wee bit over Anne and Gilbert as a couple.


What is your favorite quote from LMM (either a quote from one of her books, or from her personal life)?

ONE?!?!?!?!  Well, I have this magnet on my fridge:


How many LMM books have you read?

Thirteen!  The 8 Anne books, the 3 Emily books, and The Blue Castle, plus a collection of her short stories.  


Which LMM book would you most like to see made into a movie?

The Blue Castle, but only if I get to be the screenwriter and director, and if I get to cast Michael Fassbender as Barney (HEY!  He likes to work with first-time filmmakers, so it could happen!) and Elizabeth Henstridge as Valency.

(I should not have made this.  Now I keep staring at it and wanting to reread TBC.)

Have you found a kindred spirit?

Several!  :-)

Do please join the fun if you've a mind to!  Eva's kick-off post with the tag questions is here.

22 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to answer this! :) Reading your answers was lots of fun, especially since you love The Blue Castle lots (it's always neat, seeing it mentioned, because it's not as well-known as LMM's other books).

    I want that magnet! :)

    Totally agree with you about Barney and Valancy being sliiiightly better couple than Anne and Gilbert. They're adorable together. <3

    I've only seen Michael Fassbender in one film, but I can definitely see him as Barney. Nice casting work. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been looking forward to this all week!

      The magnet is awesome. I got it at my local book store -- if I find another there sometime, I'll pick one up for you.

      What film did you see MF in? Was it Jane Eyre or one of the X-Men????

      Delete
    2. No to both - the movie I've seen him in is a charming film about the 'real' Winnie the Pooh ('A Bear Called Winnie') and he plays the main character. It's set during WWI, and it's pretty sad in parts, but I like it overall. :)

      Delete
    3. I MUST SEE THIS MOVIE. I have to admit Fassbender has quickly become one of those actors whose name alone will interest me in a movie, but I love Winnie-the-Pooh! Must see. I'm serious -- I'm buying a used copy from Amazon this very minute.

      Delete
    4. Oh, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. :) Admittedly, it's been a while since I've seen it, but I remember liking it a lot. (And so do all my little siblings, so your children might be the same.) Let me know what you think!

      Delete
    5. Eva, I'll try to remember to email you when I watch it!

      Delete
  2. I'm STILL so happy that you're a Blue Castle fan now. AND YES VALANCY AND BARNEY. Soooo cute. (Like your casting, although I have Barney pictured slightly differently.)

    That magnet is adorable! :-)

    ~ Naomi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-D Naomi, I admit that Book Barney and Book Valency are a bit different in my head, but these are the closest I can find in modern Hollywood.

      This magnet seems popular! I may have to buy a few and offer them up for a giveaway sometime.

      Delete
  3. You inspired me! I answered the questions on my blog. :) (The post is on my Facebook page ...)

    Janet (TEC4)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TEC4, so cool! I will read your post later this evening :-)

      Delete
  4. 'The Blue Castle' is still the only LMM book that I've read but I really enjoyed reading this post :) And you're reading all of the Anne books in 2016? Excellent! So am I!

    As you already know I adored 'The Blue Castle' and I was thrilled that you loved it as well. I can't believe how UNDERRATED that book is! I think it was even out of print for a few decades... :S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannah, really?!?!?!?! You're reading all the Anne books in 2016 too? That's so cool! We shall have fun comparing notes.

      I know, what is up with people not knowing about the shiny awesomeness that is TBC? Fools.

      Delete
  5. Oh oh ohhhhhh you mentioned me in the same breath with The Blue Castle!!!!! :) ;) I'm highly honored and over the moon happy. ;D

    Really, um, *clears throat* it's kinda scary how similar so many of our answers are when it comes to LMM -- especially on the likes and dislikes.

    And your collage is so intriguing.... I wish I'd seen Fassbender and Henstridge in something so I could make up my mind. ;P

    Btw, did you have any trouble leaving your link on Eva's blog? I don't usually have troubles on Wordpress blogs, but I can't get it to take mine... :-P Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi, why so I did :-)

      I'm not surprised they're similar! Great minds think alike and all...

      I have only seen Fassbender in 4 movies, and I've only seen Henstridge on Agents of SHIELD, but I like them for the roles :-)

      Nope, didn't have trouble. Was it with leaving the link itself, or with the comment form?

      Delete
    2. The reason you had trouble, Heidi, is because Wordpress was holding your comments in moderation for some reason and I wasn't able to get to my computer most of yesterday - I've published your comment now. :)

      Delete
    3. Eva,
      Great and totally understandable. I'm so glad it worked! And thanks for just posting the link once... ;P

      Delete
  6. I keep hearing how great The Blue Castle is, I've got to get around to reading it soon!
    A great magnet - it's always nice to have literary quotes around the house

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose, The Blue Castle is such a quick, enjoyable read! Like a delicious bowl of ice cream.

      I have a bunch of literary magnets -- I should post about them all sometime.

      Delete
  7. We have quite a few similar answers. :) Please do the movie. I want someone to do The Blue Castle who really loves it and won't ruin it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, yes, we do have a lot of similar ones!

      I would love to make a movie some day. In theory. I'd love to try writing a screenplay, anyway...

      Delete
  8. Okay, now I MUST read The Blue Castle! If only to picture those two as Barney and Valency. And I don't know about you, but I definitely consider you a kindred spirit. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kara, you MUST! It's delicious.

      Yes, I have met quite a few kindred spirits through blogging, including you! And my very best friend, who is visiting me right now, and several others.

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)