Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Fellow Book Lovers

This week's topic, as set forth by The Broke and the Bookish, is Fellow Book Lovers.  (Okay, they said Book Nerds, but not everyone here is exactly nerdy.)  Here's my list, with the titles linked to my reviews where applicable:


Anne Shirley from Anne of Green Gables and the rest of the series by Lucy Maud Montgomery.  Anne loves to imagine she's living inside a book, which she uses to escape her pretty miserable life... until she finds a real home and real friends that are better than any story.


Catherine Morland and Henry Tilney from Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen.  I'm such a sucker for couples who bond over books, and these two definitely do that!


Hermione Granger from the Harry Potter books by J.K. Rowling.  She's a very powerful witch, and reading and remembering what she's read are Hermione's superpowers.


Juliet Ashton and Dawsey Adams from The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows.  Another couple that bonds over books -- in fact, a book is directly responsible for them meeting in the first place.


Margaret Hale and Mr. Thornton from North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell.  These two don't discuss books much, but they both love reading them and learning from them.


Mary Russell from The Beekeeper's Apprentice and the rest of the series by Laurie R. King.  If Mary hadn't had her nose stuck firmly in a book, she might not have stumbled so literally across Sherlock Holmes.  She's a scholar, spends many memorable hours in the great Bodleian Library at Oxford, and often uses book research to solve mysteries.


Nero Wolfe from the Nero Wolfe books by Rex Stout.  Wolfe's appetite for books is only rivaled by his appetite for food.  I love how grumpy he gets over badly written books, but how pleased he can be by a well-written one.

12 comments:

  1. Who doesn't love Anne? I watched all the movies as a kid, but I still need to read the books! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have actually run into readers who do not love Anne because they think she gets out of her scrapes too easily, or is too vain. I find them incomprehensible. I can't remember anymore if we saw the movies first and then my mom read us the books, or if it was the other way around. Both are wonderful!

      Delete
  2. Oh, I forgot all about Anne! What a great list. I haven't read The Beekeeper's Apprentice, but it sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Danielle! I heartily recommend The Beekeeper's Apprentice to anyone who likes Sherlock Holmes, strong female characters, or just mysteries in general.

      Delete
  3. Loved seeing Anne so much for this list. I really need to read North and South, I adored the BBC adaptation, so I'm sure the book is just as fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alicia! I just read North and South for the first time this year, after falling in love with the BBC adaptation not long before, and it is excellent. In fact, you get to spend a bit more time in Mr. Thornton's head, which is such a bonus.

      Delete
  4. I haven't read Anne of Green Gables yet *hides face* I really need to! Awesome list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laquesha, the Anne books are so sweet and funny -- I hope you find time for them :-) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. I looove Anne! Now and then, I can relate myself to her :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bzee, me too! Especially when she does something scatterbrained like not putting the cover on the pudding sauce and then a mouse drowns in it. I sometimes just... don't pay enough attention.

      Delete
  6. Ah, the Anne-girl. Her bookishness and vocabulary never fails to make me happy! :) Also, I imagine John and Margaret enjoying their married life even more once they realize how much they both love books. There's so much they have in common, what fun to learn those things as they grow closer!

    And by the way, my friend Amber is planning a read-along of Northanger Abbey at the end of Oct, so I should finally get that one read! Yay! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, Kara, an NA read-along! That's tempting. If only I wasn't doing the Hamlet read-along, I'd for sure be on board. As it is, we'll see.

      And yes, I think John and Margaret will have one of those marriages that involves many discussions of deep and meaningful things :-) Wouldn't you love a book about that?

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)