Monday, August 4, 2014

"The Mother-Daughter Book Club" by Heather Vogel Frederick

I liked Pies and Prejudice so well when I read it last year that I knew I wanted to read more of the series.  But I wanted to begin at the beginning, and this was never in at the library, so I picked this up at the used book store a while ago and finally got my chance to read it now.

I may have liked it better than Pies and Prejudice, to be honest.  It's about how the titular book club forms, and they spend their first year reading Little Women.  That was particularly fun since I just watched the 1978 mini-series last month and am contemplating reading the book again soon.  Also, the series is set in Concord, where Louisa May Alcott lived, so Frederick was able to include lots of stuff about Alcott and so on.  And the girls are 12 in this, so there's less boy-girl drama going on, and more about young friendships and emerging mother-daughter conflicts.

I was surprised to discover that the girls weren't already friends when the club formed -- their moms all went to the same yoga class, where they cooked it up, and the girls were not particularly in favor of the idea.

I'm glad I picked up my own copy of this, and I'll be keeping an eye out for the rest of the books too.  Maybe by the time my kids are old enough to enjoy them, I'll have the whole series.  Speaking of kids, I'm not sure if this should be considered Junior Fiction or Young Adult -- it's 245 pages, so a bit long for Junior Fiction, but it's about 12-year-olds, so a bit young for YA.  Hmm.

If This was a Movie, I Would Rate It:  G for good, old-fashioned fun.

This is my tenth book read and reviewed for the Mount TBR Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)